Nominate a species for March Migration Madness!

By on Tuesday, March 6th, 2012 - 133 Comments

nominate for March Migration MadnessWe’re almost ready to start our second season of March Migration Madness—but we need your help to pick the last four competitors.

We’re holding a tournament on our Facebook page, in which 16 of North America’s favorite birds take turns going head to head, throughout March. You can vote for your favorite, and the bird with the most Likes will go on to the next round of the tournament. Last year, the beloved Black-capped Chickadee took top honors, besting an all-star set of opponents on the way: American Robin, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, and Cedar Waxwing all fell before the chickadee’s appeal.

This year’s tournament starts with last year’s top 8 finishers and adds four new wild cards: Bald Eagle, Yellow Warbler, Northern Mockingbird, and Snowy Owl. But that leaves four slots, and we want you to help us fill them.

Visit us on Facebook and nominate your favorite species with a post, a photo, a video, or anything else you can think of. In just one day, we’ve already had 24 species nominated—so you’re going to have to be persuasive. (You can also second someone else’s nomination by Liking their post.) Send us your nominations by March 11!

You can also sign up to receive a printable bracket that you can hang on your wall and follow the progress of the tournament. More details are in this video:

This entry was posted in Birds, what you can do, you tell us and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. Christina Fredericks says:

I’m not on facebook but would like to nominate Snow Geese. Saw about 500 in three swarms last Sat. I’m in Palm Springs and they were moving up from the Salton Sea.

2. Kathleen Britts says:

I would have to nominate the Red Knot, a wonderful shorebird and a long-distanct flier. ALso, many thanks for the wonderful work you to at Cornell Lab.

3. Floyd Yarrington says:

I live just south of St Louis and have a lot of migratory birds winter over here.
    I have feeders everywhere and enjoy them year-around.

4. Laura Hubers says:

I LOVE this idea!! You guys are great for thinking this up and giving us an alternative to that other March Madness. But how can I choose?? this will be hard…..

5. Diana Morkassel says:

I always watch for the elusive, beautiful Indigo Bunting at my feeder returning North for the summer. It’s the only time I am sure I can see one or two.

6. nancy salak says:

Mourning doves intrique me. They are so elegant and bravely visit my feeders despite the threat of dogs and cats …

7. Lauren Beck says:

The Black Capped Chickadee is actually still my fav. But of the four wild card birds I would have to say, the Bald Eagle. I had one high up in a tree at the end of my driveway this winter. As I drove down it took off and flew along just to my left. I’ve never been this close to one in the wild and the shear size, grace and elegance of this bird was breathtaking. The sun hit the white on its head and tail just right and it was just a magificent sight.

8. Scott Bigelow says:

Cedar Waxwings are the craziest of migrating birds. I parked under a tree full of them yesterday. Big mistake. I once saw a mockingbird try to hold off a flock of them to protect “his” dogwood seeds. They are also little beauties.

9. ken lane says:

red winged blackbird or hummingbirds for your march migration.I’m from salem nh the south east part of state on the mass. border.

10. sue beards says:

Tufted Titmouse

They are adorable with their tuft and there amazing big eyes.

11. Joan says:

what about migrating cranes and swans.

12. Debra Ackley says:

I’m here in the San Luis Valley,Colorado watching about 5,000 Sandhill cranes! They get my vote hands down. Displaying their magnificent mating dance and aerial acrobatics is one of my most memorable adventures.

13. Judy Jordan says:

It’s always heart warming to see the demure Western Bluebirds return checking
    out the houses. I know it’s time to set out some meal worms to let them know they are welcome.

14. Deborah says:

I nominate the common robin. We saw literally thousands of them in flocks flying overhead for several days. I didn’t know they had such large flocks.

15. Sandy says:

The Robin! Two summers ago we rescued a baby from marauding Magpies. This week for the third spring he showed up at my back door looking for his raisins. Mackay, Idaho

16. When we lived on Cape Cod in Chatham, our feeder always brought us the sweet Carolina Wren. Such a lovely, beautiful bird. That would be my nomination. Your work is amazing to me, always has been. We brought up our family in Ithaca, N.Y. Both our son and his wife, her father,plus my husband all graduated from Cornell. We met Dr. Allen when our son was in Boy Scouts and was looking for his 20th evidence of a bird there, and our son found a flicker feather there, which Dr. Allen identified for him.

17. Donna Greenup says:

My favorite is always the Cedar Waxwing. My sister Cindy wrote a little book about “Byrd” who was pushed out of his nest just days after hatching. He (?) was cared for and released a couple of months later. He was the real story of the “ugly bird” to the “beautiful majestic” cedar waxwing.

18. Nancy Lee says:

For me it’s Red Winged Blackbirds. That raucus “scrawwwwwwww!” call instantly takes me back 50 yrs. to the small dairy farm where I grew up. I love it!

19. Cathy Brotman says:

Rose-Breasted grosbeak, the males are an incredible color! One time I had 6 males at my feeder I thought I was seeing things. When one of these show it makes my day.

20. pat bryant says:

bald eagle

21. CATHERINE SWAN says:

I live beside a river and I am always excited when the Tundra Swans come in on their migration. I saw 16 yesterday!
    Of your 4 wildcard contestants I vote for the Bald Eagle. They are also here all year and are a joy to watch.The Belted Kingfisher is another favourite.

22. HELEN LINDAMOOD says:

eastern bluebird and white pelican.I am near Reelfoot Lake on Mississippi Flyway

23. Ed Loos says:

Pileated Woodpecker – You only have to hear them in the spring of the year giving their courtship or their territorial calls and you know why.

24. Sherry Harwin says:

Scott’s Oriole – their song is a bubbling pleasure and their lemon yellow body offset by that sleek Black head, long graceful tail, and wings with just the right touch of white for wing bars send my joy meter soaring.

25. carol norman says:

I love the Carolina Wren Can hardly wait to hear their beautiful cheery song!

26. carol norman says:

I love the Carolina Wren. I can hardly wait to hear their beautiful cheery song. This my choice!

27. Once I was graced with a migratory visit from an Indigo Bunting – will never forget it! But I would have to nominate the Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Maybe this year one will stay in my small garden instead of migrating through. One can only hope.

28. Darlene Pollard says:

I love the Carolina Wrens and the Brown Thrashers

29. Robert Lewis says:

How can you not honor the little Hummers who travel so far. In miles traveled per ounce of weight, they must be the undisputed kings of migration!

30. andrea riggins says:

I vote for the cardinal and here is my reason,I have a passion for birdwatching ,I especially love the cardinal. My love for this bird grew from just watching them, how they pair up and how they seem to take care of each other especially the male being so attentive to his mate. This became a fact ,when my mom and dad ,had noticed a male cardinal outside their back kitchen door. They would toss out a few bread crumbs and he would happily take them and fly up into the tree where his pretty little mate was waiting. This became a ritual of sorts,for every day,when they opened their door he would greet them,take some crumbs and again fly up into their nest. He would even fly to the bathroom window which was directly above the kitchen backdoor,on the second story, and fly up against the window to get the attention of whoever was in the bathroom at the time.They then would go downstairs to the kitchen door and there he’d be waiting for his crumbs . Now.Fast forward ten,fifteen,twenty years,my mom and dad naturally, were always drawn to the cardinals,they were so special to them,as they would always reminisce about the pair of cardinals that they had befriended. It wasn’t long and I also became fascinated with this beautiful bird. Well, one day my mom and I were having a heart to heart talk about life and then to how my mom said if she could come back as something,it would be a cardinal,she loved them that much,and that way when any of us saw a cardinal or a pair of cardinals we would think of her and dad. Well,the day came when my beloved mother passed away and then nine months later my beloved father went too. He couldn’t manage without his sweetheart,so he slowly gave up and wouldn’t eat,he had alzheimers and it eventually took his poor mind completely,add that to a broken heart,and he just slipped away.They had met when he was fresh out of the Navy and would’ve been married sixty years. They started their family very young and they had nine children. They were wonderful parents,we loved them very much and they loved us,so when they left this earth for heaven it was very sad. Having lost my beloved parents so close together,I became very depressed. Every night I would pray to God to help me get through this trying time. I had a family,too.that needed me and they were very supportive but still,I couldn’t seem to snap out of it.
    One morning as I meandered through the house,poured my coffee and sat down at my back door, I looked out and their in my weeping crab apple tree were about twenty cardinals all in pairs,just ruffling and flying among the branches eating out of the feeder and just all a buzz with activity. It lifted my spirits,as I thought of what mom had told me about coming back as a cardinal. ,well,their they were! My mom and dad and all of their friends! I know this sounds silly but this is how I looked at it. It made me feel so good inside and helped me . I couldn’t help but think it was a sign from my parents and God to look at the bright side of things. I still have the cardinals gathering at the tree and every morning and evening I watch the birds ,all of them ,but there is a special place in my heart and soul for the cardinals. Some people believe that a miracle has to be a tremendous happening,but to me a miracle can be soft and subtle and with wings,like those of an angel. It can be a couple of cardinals in a weeping crab apple tree, singing their happy song and taking care of each other,just like my mom and dad did.

• Nan Hartman says:

I just read about your cardinals and your parents. It’s really a sweet story. I can completely relate and always think of my dear mother when I see cardinals, that she also loved.

31. jack greenwood says:

Pileated Woodpecker; the king of the woods

32. tom spurrell says:

The 1st spring arrival in my part of the country (Labrador City, NL Canada)is the snow bunting. It gets my vote.

33. Roy Major says:

Since I have changed to black oil sunflower seeds, the american gold finch has been a regular visitor to my feeders. They are a brilliant and graceful bird, especially in the spring.

34. jean.freye@gmail.com says:

Coming and going at my feeders in Muskegon, MI
    is a flock of red poles. Sweet, well dressed little birds stopping by during a long commute.

35. Lyndon Linsenmeier says:

I would like to nominate the Filaloo Bird.

36. Mike Mansour says:

Without a doubt my favorite migrating bird is the Kirtland Warbler.
    I find it amazing that these little guys and gals live mostly in norther Michigan during the summer and fly down to just one island in the Bahamas and sometimes without stoping.

37. Teresa says:

I agree with Sue. The Tufted Titmouse is one of my favorites. They are such a friendly and curious little bird. Sometimes they move only a few branches away when I fill my feeders to watch me work. Definitely a feeder favorite for me and a nomination for North American Favorite Birds.

38. Helmut KRAMER says:

Saw a flock of Golden Crowned Kinglets in a very quiet cemetary at Valparaiso,Indiana on Feb 18

39. moved to misouri 2009–the faithful
    bluebird of missouri has returned each
    year to raise a brood and feast on
    mealy worms provided. They are more beautiful when seen flying and up close–better then most pictures of them.
    i maintain a feeding station for song
    birds–suet based seed cakes and goldfinch food.the mealy worms are placed on separate hanging plate.

40. Charles Johnston says:

The American Robin. They’re baaack!

41. Shellie Ellen Smith says:

Why do I have to go to Facebook to vote?! Why can’t I vote here on the Cornell website?

42. Gloria Jahnke says:

I nominate the WOOD THRUSH and its melodious song!~
    (cannot access facebook)

43. doris coffey says:

The vermillion flycatcher, the winds here have been 20 to 30 mph, but the little bird flies all over the yard.

44. carol norman says:

I am nominating The Carolina Wren. I love their happy little cheery song!

45. Michelle Johnson says:

My nominee is definitely the Sandhill Crane. We had a pair stay through the winter near our marsh this year, which is very unusual, and counted them in the bird count for the first time. But, we have had a very mild winter here in southwest Michigan.
    They look and sound prehistoric, and also have such beauty and grace.

46. Art Maurer says:

My vote goes to the Cedar Waxwing. They always migrate in small flocks and settle into local trees.

47. Bill Brath says:

Always look forward to the return of the Hooded Oriole to Malibu hills on or about St Josephs day(19MAR)We just call them “yellow birds”

48. Phyllis says:

I love the eagle whom we see more and more often along the Lake Erie shore here in NE Ohio.

49. Al Banfield says:

Normally, I would say the bohemian waxwing because they come by the hundreds to eat our crabapples, holly berries, and barberries for several days. However, I will say the robins this year because they came 60 to 80 strong in a snowstorm and stayed for several days, eating almost everything in our yard that was a berry or a seed, except the crabapples for the most part. Then a week later they returned to basically strip all the fruit off the crabapples. I don’t use facebook, so I hope this can count as my vote.

50. D. Hawes says:

March 9, 2012
    Saw about 8 Robins today so the Robin has my first vote, then the Bald Eagle (has returned to Decorah, Iowa http://www.farmyou.com/falcon_cams/index.html) next, Black Capped Chickadee, and Mourning Dove. I live in Iowa and when I see the first robin I know spring is here!

51. Traci Y says:

Facebook? I hear you Christina F. I am not on Facebook either, and hope that Cornell will use our “comments” to provide us a different way to nominate our favorite migratory champ. This is tough…. but I have to nominate the….. American Goldfinch. When they arrive to the Pacific Northwest in Spring, there is always a personal and family celebration for the arrival of the most stunning and vibrant American Goldfinch. What a gift for the eyes and ears!

52. pat schmac says:

Noticed 2 bluebirds sitting on the fence hoping they will build nest in there houses that I put out last fall.

Thanks for all the comments and nominations so far, everyone! For the people who don’t use Facebook, don’t worry, we have made a note of your nominations. Thank you!

54. john conwell says:

My nominee is Eastern Phoebe. They always nest under our deck.
    Marlborough, NH

55. Andree Dubreuil says:

I vote for the common redpoll,but I shall not send pictures, because I use what we commonly call,plungers (you know the item you use to unblock toilets)to feed various seeds to different birds. The sight is somewhat different, from the average garden feeder.
    ..Of course they are new.
    I plunk them in the snowbanks, and when their are empty, they are dunked in an anteseptic solution, Voila!
    Clean, inexpensive, no fighting and the rubber rims is soft, on the legs of my mourning doves, who are prone to cold surfaces in winter.
    I also have feeders,,but I really love when the common redpolls come…Alot of them I hope this year.
    Three Rivers, Quebec

56. Carol c. says:

I’d wish to second the sandhill crane. I drive 9 hours every year to watch them pass through the Platte River in NE and if I’m lucky by the time I’m back home I can see them coming back to MN. Their voice alone can make me smile.

57. Pingback: Cornell's March Madness by Drew Weber on Nemesis Bird

58. RockinFX says:

That is, without a doubt, the best and funniest take off on March Madness I have ever seen! As a college basketball fanatic and a bird lover my hat is *way* off to the creators of this hilarious video. Well done! ;D

59. Janet Vinyard says:

I’d like to see the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird on your list, & I’m not on facebook. Thanks!

60. Alisa says:

The tufted titmouse, not only cute but a great singer.

61. Andree Dubreuil says:

I will nominate the Common Redpoll,of course all Redpolls, Last year was wonderful. An irruption of joy.

62. Evelyn Hatch says:

How about a phainopepla? They, like the Western bluebirds, are out there feasting on mistletoe berries along our road (near Devil’s Punchbowl Park, Angeles Nat. Forest).

63. Denise says:

New found love the Balitmore Oriole

64. Sister Emmanuel says:

I nominate the Eastern Bluebird. When they arrive to compete with the house wrens for housing, it’s quite a sight. That gorgeous flash of blue and their heart-achingly sweet song!

65. B. L. Fletcher says:

RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS! Since we have a (small)year-round Robin population here on Eastern Long Island, it the Red Wings that are harbingers of Spring for me. The first morning I have Red-wings at my feeder and hear their “song”, my heart skips a beat!

66. B. L. Fletcher says:

P.S. to my first post. I, too, hope you are taking these comments into consideration for the nomination…many of us choose to not participate in the Facebook Phenomena.

67. Susan says:

Rose-breasted grosbeak gets my vote. the males’ colours are breath-taking. I enjoy the others, too. Thanks.

68. Rafael Rives Ferriol says:

Me emocionan las golondrinas que vienen de Africa. Desde hace 6 años una pareja anida en mi cocina del jardín. Este año han llegado el 5 de Marzo. Normalmente crían dos o tres veces antes de emprender el regreso sacando adelante cuatro o cinco pollos. vivo en Llíria (Valencia España)

69. Joanne says:

The Bald Eagle. I was sitting in a hot tub in Sarasota last month and one landed about 50 feet away from us on the boat lift pole. We watched it fo about 5 minutes and then decided we have to get a camara. When Stephanie stood up to get the camara..it flew off..
    The Bald Eagle has made it’s come-back!!

70. Pat says:

I am not on facebook but would like to nominate the Purple Martin. From San Paolo Brazil to Rochester, NY, a little over 4000 miles, now that is a migration!!

71. Sharon Arrizubieta says:

How nice that the Snowy Owl is one of the wild cards, we don’t get a chance to see them often and it is a real treat when we do. My nominee is the Gray Cat Bird,if for nothing else, his beautiful series of melodic songs and energy in which he sings is awesome – I look forward to his presence each spring.

72. Dave says:

Hey, isn’t the prettiest little bird in America the Painted Bunting!
    I wish they were in Central Florida year round.

73. Victor Austin says:

American Woodcock
    A hard bird to find,camoflauged and its wonderful flight display. Or maybe Wilson’s Snipe.

74. Helen M Carter says:

Red tail hawk

75. Rose says:

I am not on Facebook, but I’ve seen the thousands of Sand Hill Cranes in the San Luis Valley in Colorado and the hundreds of thousands of Sand Hill Cranes near Kearney Nebraska. They were so thick while resting and feeding that the fields looked like alive. Very impressive. I have some neat photos of them.

76. Jo Sanzalone says:

I nominate the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, one of the toughest little birds in spite of its size. They’re just plain feisty! For the wild card, I choose the Bald Eagle, a truly magnificent bird.

77. peakbagger says:

I nominate the Northern Parula. They have become more abundant in the Massachusetts flying through to Maine. I’m “routing” for them to take March Migration Madness. Every bird is worthy!

78. Judi says:

Every year in March we take a trip to Prairie du Chien in Wisconsin to see hundreds of migrating white pelicans. There is a small marina where they also fly into and fish and where you can get some wonderful photos up close. They are my favorite migrating bird coming together in numbers. Cruising up Highway 35 toward LaCrosse you can also view many other migrating birds including huge numbers of canvas backs. Being from Wisconsin, I think my pick for the most exciting return is our whooping cranes!!

79. margriet hecht says:

I have tom agree with Robert Lewis.
    Those little hummers that fly thousands of miles and are so exhausted when they arrive.. They need all the food they can get at that point!
    Will not vote on facebook either !

80. Elaine Pope says:

Every spring I look for the rufous-sided towhee, the brown thrasher, catbird and most of all, a little later – April? – the rose-breasted grosbeak. Any one of those would get my vote – maybe first would be the towhee.

81. linda says:

I had the pleasure of having a “flock” of cedar waxwings this year , first time ever! However , i have to pick the American goldfinch, they are my favorite.

82. Stephanie Chambers says:

I nominate the cat bird. I look forward to hearing/seeing them each spring. When they arrive here in the north east it is really spring and summer is around the corner.

83. Jake says:

I’m ot on facebook, but I’d like to nominate the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. These birds have a big history in the Cornell lab, and it would be great to drum up more intrest in these not-extinct birds!

84. kate says:

I’m not on Facebook, but I would like to nominate the rufous hummingbird. That so tiny and pugnacious a being can migrate so far is truly amazing.

85. Sister Emmanuel says:

I nominate the Eastern Bluebird. Their cheery songs give the promise of spring, and their eye-catching blue brightens up the gloomiest days.

I had posted a comment yesterday, but it doesn’t seem to be here.

86. Barbara says:

How about the Hooded Warbler? Its quiet but engaging little song is quite unique in the world of birds.

87. Cora says:

I love to watch the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds when they return to our campsite in NYS.

88. Catherine says:

I too have a soft spot for the black-capped chickadee, but I’d like to nominate the mountain bluebird. I spotted a flock of them in late February of 2011 in the Boulder foothills and they were breathtaking.
    Not on facebook either and hope this can count as a vote. (And I’d like to echo the comments that ask “why facebook and not the Cornell website?)

89. jill benjamin says:

I’d like to add on to previous nominations of the tufted titmouse- a regular at my feeders and like the bc chickadee about the most personable of all the birds who frequent the yard.

90. jean krebs says:

I too feed the birds shelled sunflower seeds and suet blocks mixed with peanut butter. The variety of birds I get is wonderful. Last year, 10 pairs of gold finch, chickadees rosy finches, woodpeckers, and on and on, but i’ll go with the amereican gold finch, almost as fiesty as the pine siskin.

91. Diane_D says:

I love this, but I’ve got to admit I’m not clear on one point: are we supposed to nominate birds who mmigrate INTO our area each spring, or lucky sightings while they’re just migrating THROUGH?!?

Hi—actually you can nominate any birds at all. Several of the species already in the bracket are not migratory. Thanks for asking!

92. Laura McDade says:

I vote for the Titmouse

93. Barbara says:

I stood outside this morning and saw and heard the sandhill cranes migrating back north. It is an awe inspiring sight to behold these huge but graceful birds with the distinctive call.They truly herald spring. They should be number one in the chirpionship!

94. louise Enderlin says:

I have a set of doves in my yard just about every morning What can I feed them so they come back? The darn suqirrls keep eating all the food in the bird feeder. I only have the wild bird feed hanging up
    Thank
    Louise

95. Helen Crawford says:

I am not a Facebook user so appreciate you letting us nominate our favorite bird anyway. My favorite is the Northern Cardinal. The male takes such good care of his mate and feeds the little ones in the nest. When they first leave the nest he shows them how to get food. What a great father. I have watched them for years first in Texas and now Oklahoma. I really love all the birds, so many favorites.

96. wendi says:

I am not on facebook. Would like to nominate the Eastern Bluebird because they are beautiful and sing a lovely song and faithfully come to nest in my yard every year!

Another favorite is the Brown headed nuthatch because they are so fun to watch and their size is just adorable!

Love God’s creativity!

97. John C Johnson says:

Cerulean Warbler because they are “threatened” and need the help this contest can bring them!

98. Jack Durham says:

Gila Woodpecker – all the way to the tip of Baja Mexico. Such unusual and uncommon habitat and bird. They even occur on the Gila River! Let the little guy on the list as well.

99. Rose F. says:

I love the Northern Cardinal second only
    to the Black Capped Chickadee. They stay here the year round and on a snowy day
    I have counted up to 17 of them at one
    time. They seem even more special as
    my brother lives in the west where there
    aren’t any.

100. Judie Eithley says:

I nominate the yellow finch. These cheerful little guys grace our thistle feeders for months each year. We’re in No VA

101. Joanne Britton says:

I’m not a Facebook user either. I’d like to nominate the Say’s Phoebe, the first actual migrant I see in the spring here in eastern Oregon. Western Meadowlarks are usually the first vocal birds of spring, but some linger through the winter and don’t migrate. I also love to see and hear Tundra Swans and Sandhill Cranes.

102. Harold Nass says:

I vote for the Rose-breasted Grosbeak when they return spring is here. On occasion we have Indigo Buntings come to the feeder on spring migration.

103. marjorie topp says:

Black capped chickadees,downy &
    pilliated woodpeckers, nuthatchers, gray & stellar jays and the odd raven are at my feeders all winter long up in Prince George BC. I really look forward to the arrival of the Robin indicating that spring has arrived. My next favourite is the rufous hummingbird but they don’t arrive until later in May and are gone just after the first signs of frost in August. It amazes me that they travel such distances to nest and must leave so soon. I must add that this is a great site to share our love of nature!

104. AL graham says:

WE live on the BAY OF Quinte near Belleville Ont.Spring is early this year and open water is starting to appear on the bay.Yesterday,Mar 11th,hundreds of Canada Geese arrived from their flight over Lake Ontario and took up residence on the ice at the edge of the open water.Noisey neighbours but fun to watch.They get my nomination.

105. Cheryl says:

Eastern Bluebird has my vote.

106. Elise Edwards says:

I’m waiting on the wood thrush! He gets my vote!!

107. Bill Malcom says:

We are in a sixth floor apartment with a small balcony. Favorite birds are the pair of Bluebirds that spend the winter here in eastern Mass.

108. Terry MacPherson says:

I vote for the song sparrow. I’m located in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont…No matter! I can count on hearing its beautifully persistent vocals to be amongst the earliest in both the calander and the morning

109. Nithin Kanumuri says:

I am not a Facebook user either but I think that the bald eagle is probaly the bird im going for.

110. Margie Healey says:

I think the most beautiful migratory bird is the wood duck. They are easy to spot amongst the thousands of ducks & geese seen at Long Point Provincial Park in Ontario.

111. Janice says:

I live in Canada, about two hours north of Minnestota. I was not aware that black capped chickadees or downy woodpeckers migrated from the south as we have them at our feeders all winter long.

112. andrea riggins says:

I will always love the cardinal,but if you are wanting us to nominate a bird that isn’t on the list,mine would be the Baltimore oriole. Every spring time I’ve always noticed this bird quite by accident,first I hear a beautiful song,quite loud,too,and then a FLASH! of brilliant orange and black,but the tangerine orange just captivates me. And it won’t allow you to look too long,OFF he goes! But, I then get out an orange and put it out for him,and then I get to watch him or her a little bit longer, So,I will nominate the oriole.

113. Pingback: Midwest Bias - Sports, Pop Culture, and Life’s Idiosyncrasies

114. Hugh Kingery says:

American Dipper! “His music is the streams refined, the trills of the rapids, the gurgling of the margin eddies . . .” – John Muir. Dippers migrate only downstream in winter to ice-free stretches, back in the spring. When the young hatch, parents split the brood and while feeding them, also sing to them — the male his usual song, the female a song half as long, but she sings twice as often — even as the fledgling yammers at ma or pa for food.Then after the young spring free of ma & pa, the adults go into a flight-feather molt akin to ducks.
    And time to plug in a western species.

115. John says:

The Ovenbird :) LOL XD

116. Benjamin Eugene Newman says:

Downy Woodpecker

117. Blake Stroia says:

The American Koot

118. Andree Dubreuil says:

I agree with many of you, facebook is quite open. All I want you all to know is that I do not understand anything in facebook, But I understand one thing,, that you have shared SO MANY BEAUTIFUL COMMENTS AND I THANK YOU.. I NOMINATE ALL OF YOU… AND CHEERS TO YOU ..wE ARE INDEED BIRDS OF A FEATHER,,,

119. Teresa says:

Hello,my name is Teresa,I live in Haliburton area, Minden Hills,we have 40 ackers of mix forest,I love birds, my forest is OPERA singing birds, on march 15 Robin has arrived, and march 16 Dove arrived , Im waching my birds everyday,waiting for Humming birds, will let you know when they arrive.

120. Ken Shores says:

I agree with a previous comment about the Pileated Woodpeaker. However I do like my friendly Carolina Chickadees and Tuffed Tit Mice (both are social and will come and study you as much as you look at them). We have seen many different species through our back windows while watching our feeders.

121. Lisa G. says:

I await the Baltimore Oriole. We put grape jelly out and fresh oranges as soon we see the first one on our porch. We also put out Oriole feeders.
    We live in Central Iowa I am wondering if they will come early this year since it has been so warm.

122. Teresa Woroniecka says:

On march 19,in Haliburtn area, Minden Hills,Ontario, Janco birds arrive,as soon as we planed grass seeds, looks like they were just waiting for the grass seeds,so funny, seeds are gone.

123. Zach says:

Red-breasted robin

124. Robert C. Hines says:

My first bird to visit my feeder in Colorado is the house finch. This time of year I am over welmed with them.

125. Fred says:

Black-capped Chickadees win with dignity and decorum.

126. Pingback: Sweet Sixteen… of Birds!

127. My favorite bird is the bluebird.

128. I have seen many posts about not using facebook or twitter. I don’t either. It seems alot of people are penalized because they don’t have facebook or twitter. I wish everybody would forget about facebook and twitter and stick to old-fashioned web forms ANYBODY can submit. Why should people that don’t do social netwroking get to participate? This IS NOT the only bird-related (or any other thing) that I would have done but COULD NOT because I don’t do facebook or twitter. Twitter isn’t quite as bad as facebook because you can do more things without twitter than you can without facebook but WHEN WILL PEOPLE WITHOUT SOCIAL NETWORKING ACCOUNTS BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE?

129. CATHERINE SSWAN says:

I do not do Facebook either but my favourite migrant is the Baltimore Oriole. There are often six pairs around my feeder just outside my kitchen window.
    Their song is also a delight.

130. Bosco says:

For my late brother Nick, his favorites were the pileated woodpecker and belted kingfisher. Which we enjoyed in the Catskill region of NY.

• CATHERINE SWAN says:

I don’t do facebook or twitter.
      I love the red breasted nuthatch! He never moves from my feeder hooks when I add seed to the feeders.